Monday, November 9, 2009

WOW!

Correction: I think that this may be a Hericium abietis after a  little looking around. I think it doesn't have as many branches as the ramosum tends to have. In any case it was good.
Saturday I made one last trip to McCall in search of a soggy Chanterelle. The Chanterelle is the only thing on my list that I never found this year. I think I found several but they were to far gone to tell for sure. On the way up I made one stop and made a major find. I found several large logs with Hericium ramosum, also listed as Hericium coralloides, growing out of several locations per log. I only took the whitest crop and left the sections starting to yellow. I only took about 1/2 of what there was. When I got home I weighed the harvest to be over 5 pounds. The last time I found this species it was on the Boise Greenbelt. It looks like the conifers hold both  Hericium ramosum also listed as Hericium coralloides, and Hericium americanum. We had a lovely shrimp stir fry with the fresh crop. I cooked and froze the rest. I am sure Bryan P will be jealous.
Click on the photo to see the full view.













The shot on the left shows some I left because they were too yellow.

1 comment: