Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Chanterelle quest.


Some big clusters in the Columbia gorge. I don't really know what they are maybe Honey Mushrooms.

I had a couple of days free so I made a mad dash to the Oregon coast on Thursday. I stayed with Wendy's parents in Portland. I searched Friday and Saturday in a triangle area of Tillamook, Cannon Beach and Banks Or. I was able to get my fill of Chanterelles. They are still coming up but the Boletes are done from what I saw. I saw a lot of interesting mushrooms. Most of them were overripe but others were still popping up. There were lots of different species everywhere I would stop. It was raining the whole time, of course. There were plenty of areas to explore and hardly anyone else around. The areas I picked the Chanterelles in were unpicked the best that I could tell. I could see lots of old Chanterelles that had turned to mush without being picked. At one place I had really gotten into the Chanterelles and then suddenly moved out of them. I looked around to see what had changed. I had moved along a ridge into an area that all of the trees looked like a birch or some broadleaf type tree. Once I moved back into the Firs and evergreen trees I was into the mushrooms again. Most of the Boletus were way overripe. I didn't see many Kings other then down by the coast. There were a lot of them but even the buttons were buggie. Take a look at the pictures. Click on the picture to zoom in.


I think these are Clavaria purpurea found along the coast in huge numbers.


A major Russula crop in a campground.                                        Helvella lacunosa is my guess.




A soggy Boletus and a Helvella lacunosa as above.  




The Chanterelle. The last type of mushroom on my checklist for the year.           

No comments:

Post a Comment