Monday, October 26, 2009

Two new species for me from the green belt.



10/26/2009    Please don't eat anything based on my photos or my comments. Click on most photos for a better view.
Over the last couple of days I have found a bunch more Oysters and a huge surprise. I found three clusters of Hericium ramosum also listed as Hericium coralloides. Boy was I excited. I was in an area with a lot of maple, oak, cottonwood and willow. I couldn't tell what kind of dead wood it was on. These were two old to eat but the third sample was just starting out and really nice and white.




Look for the two clusters.

I knew an area where they had cut down a bunch of Willows. I found these Flammulina velutipes ?(velvet foot) mushrooms on the first stump I saw.



Note the velvet foot on these I picked. I don't eat these because you are supposed to remove the skin on the cap and they are so small.
The last entry is an interesting group of Oysters which I didn't pick. I call these Oysters on Crack!


Happy Hunting.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with what you are finding. I have to get out and look harder around here. To fish, to hunt chukars, or hunt mushrooms. Gads, I am glad I am not working, I would not have time to work. Great pictures by the way. I enjoy clicking on the picture to get the larger version and better detail.

    ReplyDelete